Heartland Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About that time again. (Moot)

+16
Ulysses Sprague
RoninCreon
HST Justin
Erato Castellanos
Taker
Sundancer
Frost in His Hair
Vanessa Carter
Misha
ST Jonah
Audra Radvilyte
Makes-Insides-Outside
Tyler Sprague
Graciela
Griffin Defoe
Virgil Vikos
20 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

About that time again. (Moot) - Page 4 Empty Re: About that time again. (Moot)

Post by Audra Radvilyte Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:32 pm

True, though I would hope there was some other way of getting a hold of people in between games.
Audra Radvilyte
Audra Radvilyte

Back to top Go down

Post by ST Jonah Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:22 am

Side note, you only get to torture Justin and Pat on the 22nd. I am counted out this day as my happy ass is going to MD to the close of their Ren. Faire!
ST Jonah
ST Jonah
Storyteller
Storyteller

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate Stein Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:32 am

So I'm glad that we are organizing stuff and I think it will help. I do, however, want to bring up part of why I have a hard time at Moot: People's behavior during the stories.

A typical Moot will consist of Galliards (sometimes) telling stories. Usually it ends up being a single person at a time standing in the middle and recounting a story with no real energy. No effort is made to get others enthused while the story is being told. And since most people already know the stories OOC, they get bored and start chatting with their friends. Or, they get up and go into another room to eat food and talk OOC. I end up getting so distracted by those things that it is hard to stay focused.

If we can fix this part, I will enjoy Moots so much more, regardless of location.
Kate Stein
Kate Stein

Back to top Go down

Post by Audra Radvilyte Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:56 pm

This is part of it - getting the stories planned ahead of time, being shorter, to the point, and then maybe with a couple of other eyes, we can give help and direction on how to liven it up. (warning: I like puppets)

I think that's the main goal, besides location, is to have it more rehearsed, again, like a play, so the different parts go better and smoother.
Audra Radvilyte
Audra Radvilyte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivian Murphy Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:41 pm

I can see having some things planned and worked out, but a largely scripted and rehearsed LARP event doesn't sound very appealing. It makes me feel like all of the spontaniety is removed, and that we're just waiting for our turn to do whatever small part we have in a larger pre-determined story. I don't want moot to feel like I'm watching a play.

Bringing in props and giving people ideas on how to improve/shorten/etc. whatever is all well and good - I am all for that. I'm good on ambiance and changing locations (which I think could make a big difference for this particular event), even paying an increased fee. I'll do whatever I can to help perpetuate the mood, decorate, etc.

I agree with Kasey that the OOC distractions can sometimes be the biggest thing working against us in the moot. If there is any food - maybe it's served once the Garou are done with the revel? If people want to gush over the wonderful cooks at the game, ask for recipes, have food fights, or whatever...it could all as easily be done IC as OOC then, because our attentions aren't supposed to be focused on something else (Cracking the Bone, Talesinging, etc.).

Just my thoughts. Now I'll shush and wander back to the screen of my computer where work is done. Smile
Vivian Murphy
Vivian Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Vikos Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:05 pm

I really don't like the idea of having to script the stories I tell. I take notes on big stories with a lot of important detail, but those are the sort of ones a talesinger section on the boards would be best for. Ones of epic battles with 20+ participants and BSD/Abomination/Demonic investiture super baddies. If I'm gonna tell one at Moot I don't want to "audition" to do my character's thing. Limiting how many stories are told and which stories isn't a terrible idea though, I just want the freedom to tell it like I please.

I agree certain other things could be managed as well to help cut down on drag, especially what's brought up during the cracking of the bone. Everybody and their mother has a grievance usually, often times the same thing or a variation of something else somebody has a problem with, and things get argued so far into the ground that people are just worn out and frustrated by the end of, bringing the rest of the Moot down.
Virgil Vikos
Virgil Vikos

http://imasupervillain.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sundancer Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:10 pm

As far as practicing. I would say that, for the most part, our characters would have practiced what they would say at moot IC. I could be wrong. You may be playing a character that always flies off the cuff and does everything spontaneously, my character for instance is very seat of the pants, however, he would practice things said at moot because of the societal importance and such. I'm not saying there needs to be a script or that order must be followed to the letter. Hell, anything can happen at moot. I'm just thinking it might be better if people who wanted to practice had that chance to do so in a different setting.
Sundancer
Sundancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sundancer Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Wow, mixed metaphors sorry lol
Sundancer
Sundancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Audra Radvilyte Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:33 pm

And the exact wording doesn't need to be scripted, just the general idea, organization and flow, and length of time it is going to take.

When I have to give presentations, especially those with a time limit, I go through the entire presentation alone several times. When I present it in person, it always is different than how I practiced it; audience is interested in different things, you speak at a different speed etc. I keep sections that I can put in or cut, based on time requirements. There is little worse than someone reading off slides, but having someone who rambles around isn't a lot better. So I never plan exactly to the word: I have highlights I plan to hit, reminders of anecdotes if I need it, guidelines to keep me on schedule and topic.

These are the sorts of things that will eventually make good public speaking and storytelling. For some people it is innate and they don't have to think about it, other have to practice until it gets to the point where you don't have to plan and rehearse it.

It's not about making it stiff and bland from over-rehearsal, it's about allowing it to flow and people to react better and just getting more out of it. We're talking usually about people with high expression and performance scores, this helps the playing match the stats more.
Audra Radvilyte
Audra Radvilyte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sundancer Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:35 am

Funny enough if we have it on the 22nd your ritemaster can't make it.
Sundancer
Sundancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin Defoe Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:03 pm

I would like to insist that we delay our OOC moot game until our first session in November. Three Rivers scheduled their moot game for Oct. 22 and we'll lose some players early due to their commitment to that game. Can we explore Jonah's location proposal for early November?
Griffin Defoe
Griffin Defoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Visions of Conquest Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:28 pm

^this
Visions of Conquest
Visions of Conquest

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 pm

I too would support this.
Misha
Misha

Back to top Go down

Post by Graciela Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Supported from this household, as well.

Graciela

Back to top Go down

Post by ST Jonah Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Estimated cost is going to be between 7 and 10 bucks a head. Its all really pending site and what can be found now.
ST Jonah
ST Jonah
Storyteller
Storyteller

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Sprague Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 pm

I also am in favor of this.
Tyler Sprague
Tyler Sprague

Back to top Go down

Post by Dresden St. Andrews Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:35 pm

I support this idea, makes things easier on a good number of our players.
Dresden St. Andrews
Dresden St. Andrews

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4