Heartland Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ability Question. Taunting

5 posters

Go down

Ability Question. Taunting Empty Ability Question. Taunting

Post by Makes-Insides-Outside Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:33 pm

I was looking for a way to taunt an opponent and gain their exclusive enmity in a combat situation. I was wondering if a use of a social challenge and the intimidate ability would achieve this effect?

For Example:

There is a rampaging Athro BSD who will likely strike a deathblow against my packmate next round, on my turn I attempt to taunt him onto my self by using a social challenge and the intimidate ability.
Makes-Insides-Outside
Makes-Insides-Outside

Back to top Go down

Ability Question. Taunting Empty Re: Ability Question. Taunting

Post by ST Jonah Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:36 pm

I don't believe intimidate would be an appropriate retest for something like that. Sorry.
ST Jonah
ST Jonah
Storyteller
Storyteller

Back to top Go down

Post by Makes-Insides-Outside Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Good to know. Thanks for the prompt answer.

I like to use abilities other than as retests for rock paper scissors, so is their another ability that you could suggest to achieve this desired effect? Or even a gift if you think a magical effect is necessary to gain the ire of an enemy in combat?

Makes-Insides-Outside
Makes-Insides-Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Anselm Walker Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Stinging Blows.

Basic CoG gift.
Anselm Walker
Anselm Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by ST Jonah Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:58 pm

What Chris said. I like the creative aspect in what you're thinking, however I do not see it being 100% consistent unless the ability write up in the book specifies that it is capable of doing such.
ST Jonah
ST Jonah
Storyteller
Storyteller

Back to top Go down

Post by Makes-Insides-Outside Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:09 pm

pg.82 LOTW Revised

"Intimidation represents any of a broad variety of techniques for terrifying people into compliance. This could be anything from physical size, to a toothy grin in your Crinos form, to knowing which emotional buttons to push.
You can use Intimidation when trying to scare someone with a Social Challenge, with certain Gifts, or in retests where the Delirium would have an effect."

So yeah vague as usual, doesn't really give a concrete mechanical effect for what being scared does. This makes me a sad panda.

Thanks for the suggestion Chris.

My quest for using abilities as abilities instead of retest pools continues!!!!!

/rides off into the sunset
Makes-Insides-Outside
Makes-Insides-Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Speaker Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:18 pm

Performance (Mocking) might do the trick.

Intimidation, to me, would not make me want to go after someone. It'd make me want to hit someone else or run away.
Speaker
Speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin Defoe Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Song of Rage (Intermediate Galliard Gift) also drives a target into a frenzy, and I suppose if accompanied by a proud display it should make yourself the target. Eyes of the Cobra (also Intermediate Galliard Gift, as well as an Intermediate Children of Gaia Gift) ) makes a target come to you, which could definitely pull them off your friend long enough for you to get your hands on the foe.

Vampire: The Masquerade, a la Laws of the Night, allows for a non-mystical Social Challenge to prompt a frenzy challenge from the target if they lose. It's intended to be used on a vampire to stoke his Beast into action. Would the STs allow such a thing to be used to provoke the Rage of a Garou? The benefit of the Gift above will remain since an actual test for frenzy isn't needed following the required Social Challenge (kind of like Animalism: Drawing Out the Beast balances, in my opinion). Or is the equivalent of this actually in Laws of the Wild somewhere? (That'd be cool.)
Griffin Defoe
Griffin Defoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down