Honorifics and other suffixes.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Honorifics and other suffixes.

Post by James Stein on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:43 pm

I think that -rhya, yuf, anrae and the like were meant to be used in Mother's Tongue, really, where a deedname would be the natural form of address.

I've no basis for this fact other than the fact that those always sounded like wolf noises in my head, not words/suffixes.
James Stein

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin Defoe on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:03 pm

I disagree with Panda on the basis of Players Guide to Garou p. 86, which basically says that younger Garou should always put a "-rhya" out there when addressing older Garou in order to be safe and respectful.

I do essentially agree with Amber, though, in that your name can't be used correctly if folks don't know your name; however, both the honorifics and the deed names are constructs of the Garou (do other Changers use these things?), independent of human or wolf "language." I think knowledgeable enough Garou should not think that adding "-rhya" or otherwise to a human or wolf name is an awesome alternative.

Is there any clarity on this in the novels? There may very well be a hundred "Mari-rhya's" in print and, if so, I'm prepared to change my tune.
Griffin Defoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by James Stein on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Truth be told, however, whether it's right or not the genre exists in a way that no matter how wrong or stupid it is; an Elder or elder with a quick temper can tell you to call them John Doe-rhya and if you fail to comply you risk catching a set of claws for your troubles, possibly repeatedly.

I think I saw that point made a couple times.

But I think that segues to another topic, re: the Elder sickness (as some have put it.)
James Stein

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Howl on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:21 pm

I know for a fact, Truman, that the Bastet have similar things. Bon bhat, meaning honored elder, I believe Tilau is honroed equal. These are names for their ranks, but also get used for titles, as well. For the cats, Bon Bhat is a safe form of address to anyone who has invited you into their terriory (such as for taghairms) or those that you think or know are above you in rank.
Silver Howl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:44 pm

Where Ratkin are concerned, 90% if the time their deed name is just their name, since the majority are rat born. A lot of times they'll take a first name to address people as, Like Johnny (for most Twitchers), or in my case, Rizzo. I've never seen anything that seems to suggest they have any honorifics, and just expect you to be respectful to those who're higher Rank, or of the right Aspect (Auspice basically) to help you with something you can't do yourself.
Rizzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate Yurov on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:05 pm

I wish I was at home with my tribe novels....

For my part, Kate would rather shoot herself in the face than use rhya for any Garou out there, and Rhiannon always, 100%, corrects Garou who call her Rhiannon-rhya. She will inform them that Luna's Bright Light-rhya is acceptable, or they can call her Rhiannon with no honorific. And she's a very laid back Fianna.
Kate Yurov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by James Stein on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Besides, Rhia-rhya is so much more fun to say.
James Stein

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate Yurov on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:17 pm

.....she's killed Cliath for that one. And then changed her name to Walter.
Kate Yurov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum